21 October 2008

Newsletter Marketing

I am still working on ways to market myself and reach potential customers and stay connected with my students. I have finally figured out how to use one of those e-mail newsletter programs. Pretty cool actually. I'm using MadMimi. I am focusing mostly on keeping current and past students and workshop attendees in my network for now and use it as a forum for passing on information on the local photo community, things like shows and seminars, that may be of interest to emerging photographers.

One of the benefits of using MadMimi as opposed to just e-mailing people directly from my e-mail software, is that it gives me stats. I know how many people open the newsletters and even how many people click on the links that I highlight. This way I can track people's interest in various topics and see if any particular subject area is popular. Popular topics will get more coverage. My philosphy in this is give them more of what they want!

Unlike a blog where people have to seek me out (either on purpose or by accident using SEO, links from my sites, etc.), I am utilizing the tool of permission marketing. Permission marketing is quite fun actually. It feels like I am talking to a group of friends and associates. People can opt in or opt out at any time. Hopefully one day this will generate sales. If nothing else, it will build my reputation as an educator and workshop facilitator. It does take time to research and write useful information, just like writing in this blog. Even the simplest posts can sometimes take a couple of hours.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: